Ok, this program has been staring me right in the face for the past few weeks and although I’ve tried a few of the 21 Day Fix workouts and really liked them. I’ve got to be honest here and let you know that those cute little containers & the meal plan have got me quite intimidated. I’ve been using MyFitnessPal for about 3 years religiously to date. I’ve maintained a certain caloric intake that has left me quite happy with my weight and physique. As much as I’d like to think that I’ve got this portion control down, I’m dead wrong. Yes, I know that I can stay within my caloric intake goal but am I doing it in a healthy way? Probably not. Every day I eat my daily calories, work out and most of the time I eat my burned calories and still I’ve maintained my goal weight. Am I happy with my results? No. I workout at least 5 out of 7 days. Do I still see cellulite? Yes. Do I still feel uncomfortable wearing shorts above my tiny little knee caps? Yes!
Last week I unwrapped the plastic from my 21 Day Fix containers (to be honest, looked small!!!! Almost laughable!!!) I wondered, NO WONDER why people lose weight on this program, they can’t eat anything in these tiny containers!!! Boy, was I completely wrong! I’ve figured out my caloric intake by using Autumn’s calculations and located which containers I would be using. You basically use these containers as a measuring guide instead of guessing, “a palm size of protein” or other guestimations that we were taught to use. You can also use them to eat from on the run, I assume. But in my case, I see that I’ll be using them as a measuring tool. For instance, this is what is recommended for me:
- (3) Green containers (Veggies: Kale, Spinach, Brussel Sprouts, Broccoli, Asparagus, Beets, Tomatoes, Squash, String Beans, Carrots, Cauliflower, Peppers, Artichokes, Cabbage, Cucumbers, Celery, Lettuce, Onions, etc.)
- (2) Purple containers (Fruits: All berries, Watermelon, Cantelope, Apricots, Apples, Cherries, Grapes, Mango, Kiwi, Peach, Pear, Nectarine, Pineapple, Banana, Figs, Honeydew, etc.)
- (4) Red containers (Proteins: Chicken, Turkey, Fish, Eggs, Greek Yogurt, Shakeology, Pork, Tuna, Ham, Ricotta Cheese, Cottage Cheese, Protein Powder, Veggie Burger, Turkey Bacon, etc.)
- (2) Yellow containers (Starch/Grains: Sweet Potato, Yams, Quinoa, Beans, Lentils, Edamame, Peas, Refried Beans, Brown Rice, Wild Rice, Potato, Corn on the Cob, Oatmeal, Crackers, Pita Bread, Waffles, English Muffin, etc.)
- (1) Blue container (Healthy Fats: Avacado, Almonds, Cashews, Pistachios, Hunnus, Feta, Goat Cheese, Cheddar, Mozzerella, Monterey Jack, Parmesan, etc.)
- (1) Orange container (Seeds/Nuts: Pumpkin, Sunflower, Sesame, Flax, Peanuts, Coconut, Salad Dressing, 21 Day Fix Dressings, etc.)
- (1) Shakeology Shaker Cup (for my delicious dose of dense nutrition & superfoods)
- (2) Tablespoons (Olive oil, Coconut oil, Peanut Butter, Almond Butter, Seed Butter, Syrup)
Since I only have one set of containers I needed a visual of what my daily intake of food will be. So,I drew it out and saw so much food, I was amazed. Normally using my old method, I’d not nearly ingest this much food. It made me realize I was eating many empty calories and less healthy foods that I thought. Yes, I’m where I want to be on the scale, but I’m not nearly where I want to be in regards to nutrition. This was an eye opener. There is so much food I can eat and get such great nutrition and even that idea intimidates the heck out of me, its reallllllly a lot of food. They say your abs are made in the kitchen. I’ve been doing it all wrong. This is something I can learn and use for the rest of my life and I haven’t even listed the “free foods” list yet either. I’m thinking it’s worth a shot. It’s all laid out there for us. No guessing anymore.
Oh! I forgot to tell you about the workouts that came with this eating plan. Her workouts come with 2 DVD’s & 1 bonus DVD. Pilates, Yoga, Cardio, Piyo, Weights, it had it all. The first 21 Day Fix workout I tried was called “Dirty 30” and this is when I was introduced to Autumn. Dirty 30 is a full body workout using weights or a resistance band in only 30 minutes and trust me, you’ll feel muscles you never thought you had the very next day. She made me excited to do her workout and she is super relatable. There are men and women of all sizes and ages in these DVD’s. That was especially important to me because it showed me that anyone can do this. But now, I have to make a commitment to 21 days. I’m hoping there are a few of you out there willing to try this out with me. I’m not sure I can do this alone and totally love the daily accountability of a workout partner, even if it is virtual. There is still another half of Autumn’s eating plan that I need to finish learning but I think the time is near… This is something I’ve been dying to learn my whole life and for a mere $54 I couldn’t pass it up. Feel free to comment if your interested too. Have you tried this program already? How did you do with the portion control and food prepping? Was it difficult? Did you learn it quick? Did you see results? I’d love to hear from you.
Hmm….but now…… I’ve got to read which container my coffee addiction falls into… >: )